Change of address and a new residence permit / trvalý pobyt

Earlier this year I moved into a new flat in Bratislava and thus I had to let the police know about my new residence. It basically means I changed my residence permit card. Applying for a changed residence card is pretty much the same as applying for a new one (minus the work contract).Read More »

Travelling from Bratislava to Innsbruck and back

So you want to spend a weekend in the Alps and are shocked by the pricey train tickets? Forget about that website. Just go to Hlavná stanica or ŽST Petržalka and ask for a City Star Bratislava-Innsbruck return train ticket. It’s €55.70 and it’s valid for one month. This means that you can take any combination of trains you like and whenever you like within that month of validity. How cool is that? The overpriced tickets are valid for specific trains only. Read More »

Redirect 2% of your income tax

I case you didn’t know, you can redirect 2% of your 2012 income tax to a Slovak NGO of your choice (and you can do this until the 30th of April). All you need to do is to ask your employer for potvrdenie o zaplatení dane for 2012 (the proof of tax payment), to fill in a simple form – vyhlásenie 2% z dane –  and to send these two to your local tax office.Read More »

How to get insurance when unemployed

Guest post by Marius. Many thanks, Marius! 🙂

Probably you would be better start like this “Probably the most frustrating moment for a foreigner who has recently moved to Slovakia is” to not be able to communicate in English and therefore getting something solved.

If you are unemployed and want to get a health insurance (the one similar to that when you have a job = the state insurance = basic health care) you need to buy one.Read More »