Change of address and a new residence permit / trvalý pobyt

Earlier this year I moved into a new flat in Bratislava and thus I had to let the police know about my new residence. It basically means I changed my residence permit card. Applying for a changed residence card is pretty much the same as applying for a new one (minus the work contract).

Many things have changed in the aliens’ police department in the past three years since I first applied for a residence permit. There’s still a long way to go to make this a hassle-free process for foreginers, but I must say I was impressed with the improvements.

What you need is:

  • Your current residence permit and a photocopy of it. They will verify it and give it back to you. You have to bring it with you also when you collect your new card. The old card will be taken by the police when you collect your new one.
  • An EU-valid ID (passport or European ID card).
  • The letter of ownership of the flat/house you live in, in original. You can request it at the Katastrálny úrad (on Chlumeckého 2); it costs €8.
  • A notarised letter in which the owner is stating that they allow you to live in their flat/house (in case there is no lease agreement signed) OR a notarised copy of the tenancy agreement  (unless you are the owner of the flat/house). The owner of the flat or an authorised representative have accompany you to the notary office to sign for the copies.
  • A 3×3.5 photo.
  • A filled in application formthe same form needed when applying for the first residence permit card.
  • Electronic revenue stamps (e-kolok) having a total value of €4.50. You can get these from the vending machine in the aliens’ police building for international residents (Hrobákova 44).
  • A Slovak mobile phone number to be able to receive an SMS from the police when your card is ready.
  • A big smile to sweeten the atmosphere 🙂

The only thing I didn’t need (comparing to the first application for a residence permit card) was the work contract. Unless you change the PURPOSE of your stay in Slovakia, for example from student to employee or from employee to self-employed, you don’t need to bring a work contract again (even if you change the employer).

You need to take all these documents to the EU office building on Hrobákova 42 (the green building). Take a ticket number from the ticket machine after you have selected the purpose of your visit to the police. This machine also has an English menu. You may get lucky and not have to wait for too long. When I went to apply for a new residence permit card, I had to wait for one hour and a half just because during the first hour I was waiting in the wrong building! 🙂 So if you are an EU national and you have previously registered for a residence permit card in the Hrobákova 44 buidling, please don’t forget that building is now only for international residents and for buying the e-kolok (revenue stamps).

Your residence card should normally be ready in two weeks and you will be notified via SMS to go and collect it. I went to collect mine on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, at around 4pm, and there was only one person in front of me. I was in after less than 10 minutes 🙂

Aliens’ police offices in Slovakia.

Please have in mind that if you lose your residence permit card you will have to pay a €160 fine to get a new one.

If you are looking for information on how to apply for the first time link

Good luck and happy living at your new address!


One thought on “Change of address and a new residence permit / trvalý pobyt

  1. Out of several friends that have been in need to visit the “Alien Police” in Bratislava, I think that it is only a few that have had a good experience. For my part the woman only crossed her arms and said something in Slovak when I tried with English…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s